Saturday, 4 September 2010

My first project - apron

Hello there,
Well when I got home from work yesterday I had a nice surprise, some of the fabric I ordered had arrived, which meant that I had all the supplies to make my first item J
I had bought the magazine ‘Sew Hip’ a few weeks ago (September edition, Issue 20) and it is a very good magazine, it had a variety of projects to do, some easy for beginners and others a bit more complex as well as useful adverts for fabric suppliers. One article had instructions to make a basic apron. Having had a read through it seemed simple enough and I ordered my supplies.
So today I got started. The instructions were to use some linen for the main piece, some cotton for the trims and twill tape for the ties.

As I had bought patterned fabric I adjusted the design slightly, so instead of folding the linen, I cut a piece and sewed it on for the pocket. Next was to sew on the blue trims, followed by the red twill tape and then to stitch up the sides to form the pocket. Lastly was to sew lines up the pocket to divide it into three sections.
All in all I am pleased with it, it was very fun to make and I loved the feel of the fabric and doing something practical again. There were not any problems apart from when I was sewing a part where I had folded the fabric a few times so that it was too big to go under the foot, In the end I just stitched that bit without the foot down and it seemed fine.

I love the fabric I chose, the Russian dolls are cute, and the linen makes it a bit more rigid and durable. I am not sure about the blue trims, I could have chosen a different colour, but it was hard as I was ordering online.
To break it in I made some chocolate fairy cakes which were delicious and I am eating one whilst typing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment