So I am very excited as I have finished my first bag!
This was a pattern I bought in America and I bought the fabric at the same time to make sure I had everything I needed, as the pattern was using inches and some wording was different to what I recognised.
The pattern was for two bags one large and one small.
I decided to make the large bag first as I was unsure of how big it was to be.I started by washing and ironing the fabric. The bag would be made from a pattern fabric, a lining fabric and an iron on interfacing. The cutting took a bit of time to ensure that I was making the most out of it and not wasting any.
|Pinning and cutting pieces|
|All cut and sorted!|
|Main bag done|
Next I made the strap and had a bit of a tough time getting it the right way round. After the strap I attached the top banding and lining.
|Sewing lining, bag and banding all together|
|Sewing the inner lining|
|Inside - a handy double pocket|
All together this took about 3 days, but this was including working and other things. I really enjoyed making this, sometimes I found the pattern hard to understand until I actually did it. I discovered a few techniques to remember:
- · The cutting and pinning are just as important as the sewing, so don’t rush it.
- · Accuracy is crucial and a small mistake when cutting will show up later on.
- · I have become much better at unpicking now!
I used interfacing for the first time and found it very effective. When buying it I was concerned that it wouldn’t be good for a bag this size, but it has worked really well and anything thicker would have caused problems later on.
Overall I am pleased with how this turned out, I will be testing it next week when I go away to make sure everything is fine ;) . It would be good as an overnight or schoolbag as it is very spacious.
Please add any comments or tips below. x